10 comments on “Autonomous (and Remote Controlled) Lawn Mower

  1. How did you put together the component for the remote control start? Can you send a parts list with what capabilities your starter has. I have briefly thought of starting a Gx 390 Honda engine from about 200 ft away.
    Ed

  2. Nicely done I am in the middle of making one with a gas mower

    I have what looks like the same wheelchair motors
    where did you find the hubs to put on them for the tires you used? The stock wheelchair tires that came with my motor do not look up to the task

    Thanks

    • The wheels I purchased were from Harbor Freight. They happened to have the bolt patterns I needed to match the wheelchair motors already, so I didn’t have to adapt anything to make them work. After using them for a season, I’m not impressed with the quality of the wheels, so next time, I would want to try something different.

  3. Thanks for the reply

    Did you use a diode in combination with the Switch on the Sabertooth?

    I talked to the tech at Dimension engineering and she told me if you put a switch in the circuit you need a 40-60V 5 amp diode to protect the Sabertooth since it is a regenerative circuit, they even emailed me a diagram of how it would go

    Was kind of surprised by this I would have thought they would have included that in all the
    information on the PDF of the unit

    • No, I don’t believe I used a diode. However, if they recommend one, it sounds like a good idea.

  4. Wow, nice work!! I’m in the build process with a gas one as well. I also had the idea of making the chassis universal – except instead of the snowblower, I have a large stereo ice chest that I want to put on RC (in the deep south, we don’t get a whole lot of snow :) ). Figured the lawn mower would be great in the summer – then when football/tailgate season comes around, it’ll be handsfree as well.

    But for now, I’m having difficulty with fabricating a motor bracket to attach to the frame, as my wheelchair motors have a weird crescent/triangular pattern, and all I have is simple metal working tools (basic welder, grinder). So I figured I’d just find a used frame from the wheelchair the motors were designed for and hack it up.

    Oh and instead of buying a picoswitch, there’s an instructable for hacking a normal servo motor into a picoswitch, for when you add your lights!

    Thanks for giving me some new ideas to try – and keep us posted on the GPS/autonomous feature!

  5. How are you doing with the autonomous mode? Are you planning some sort of sensor fusion to get the inputs to keep the unit driving relatively straight lines? What are your thoughts on lidar use in this effort for obstacle avoidance?

    • Version 2.0 of the Mowbot is currently in progress. The newer version uses an all new frame, much higher computational power and a better GPS. I’ll prepare a write up shortly on this once I finish some testing. LIDAR would be an excellent choice, but the known problems are (1) cost (although this is coming down); and (2) performance in bright sunlight. I’m not currently using a LIDAR unit, but I may try one if I can get one at a reasonable cost.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>